Thursday, July 10, 2008

Anniversary #9


Yesterday was Heidi's and my 9 year anniversary.
I have to admit. I was worried. I am almost every year. I've never had much to offer her. At least that's how I feel. We have been penniless nearly all of our married lives.
I remember back when we were dating. We didn't have much money. We were in school full-time. But we would go on long walks together. We window shopped a ton. We talked constantly about the things we wanted to get for each other. And when we had the means, we would buy that special gift and deliver it in grand fashion!
I really shouldn't worry. I know Heidi. She's amazing. She would never hold something like a forgotten gift against me, not for long at least. She loves what I get her, no matter what it is.
Now that I think about it... It's hard to remember the gifts we've given each other over the years. The things that are most memorable are the thoughts behind it all. I kind of feel like we are the "Gift of the Magi" couple. You know the story were Jim sells his pocket watch to buy hair combs for Della who has just sold her hair to buy a gold chain for Jim's pocket watch.
This year Zechariah woke me up at 6 AM. I put on my running shoes and went nine miles (9th anniversary) to get Heidi flowers and breakfast which included our favorite, pain au chocolat. When I got back, exhausted (because we live at the top of a really steep road), what could Heidi be bringing out of the oven but pain au chocolat. We both appreciate each other so much. We didn't need anything else.

5 comments:

  1. Henry O. = classy, You just = real! Congrats, you guys! So fun to know that it's never about the gifts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations,too! I thought about you two yesterday. Our 9th anniversary is tomorrow, but we went out tonight. We're really laid back, we went to Baja Fresh and saw "Hancock". That's our kind of celebrating and I LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful journey these 9+ years have been with the addition of Heidi to our family...thanks Jeff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff, Your words touch me, not only today as I read this, but each time you write.
    Today as I read your words, I experienced the excitement in both you and Heidi as you planned and prepared (and ran!) to give your "love gift" to each other.
    You have a unique and precious gift to write words from deep within yourself and, in doing so, travel across the room, the country and the world to touch my soul and spirit and that of others who also get to be your family and your friend.
    The day that you came into Heidi's life you completed her in a way we never dreamed would be possible for our sweet princess to be loved and blessed.
    Thank you for being her faithful and loving husband for nine years.
    Congratulations to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you too babe... and thanks for taking out that last comment... just for the sake of classy... :) Love you tons...

    ReplyDelete