Saturday, October 20, 2007

Ten Things (first draft)

Ten things to do before I die
not yet in any particular order

1. Speak French fluently.
2. Speak Bambara fluently.
3. Make a deeply moving, professional quality, God-glorifying documentary film.
4. Be a missionary to Mali.
5. Leave a legacy of committed disciples in Mali.
6. See all my children commit their lives to Christ.
7. See grandchildren and great grandchildren serving Christ.
8. Publish my work in National Geographic. (a cover shot would be pretty nice too.)
9. Adopt children.
10. Pay off my student loans.

other possible alternates
Learn to really play the guitar, kora, and balafone (West African instruments)
Climb a few of the 14s
Write a book
Publish my autobiography or biography
Dance like no one's looking

cast your votes and make your own lists

5 comments:

  1. Hey you changed your look on your page. So... I like your list. I know you have already danced like no one is watching. Keep it up on the rest of them. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, too deep for me. LOL Actually, some of those things you listed you can't really DO, like seeing your kids come to know Christ. LOL That's on my "things I want to see happen" list. Awesome list, though. Kinda makes mine seem superfluous (just had to use that word in a sentence!) : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite on your list is 'dance like no one is watching" I put that on my top 10.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine is right. Most of the things on your list are things for you to do, but #5 through 7 (besides the witnessing) are things for someone else to do. Depending on your bent, either for your offspring or for God. Not that they wouldn't be awesome to witness, but witnnessing alone is kinda passive.

    I'd say something like "Introduce myself and my work personally to 10,000 people." or "Take my family, my Bible, and a good attitude, to 1000 cities."

    Please don't take my suggestions though. Pray instead. The Holy Spirit will give you your answer.

    Or just stop at 7. That's a lot of work as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to go back to see what 5-7 were. I didn't take a whole lot of time to think through it all.
    John, I think you might have found something out about me. I'm not a very task driven person. When I was making my list I wasn't thinking, "If I work really hard I could make all of these things happen." It has a little bit of that in there, but mostly it is a list of things I believe God has called me to do. And everything I have read and experienced tells me that God is at work to accomplish the things He has called us to do.
    It just blows my mind that we have a God who came to serve us!
    Thanks for your comment John. I tried to look you up, but I couldn't find you. Here's hoping we can talk again.

    ReplyDelete